Followers

Saturday 23 May 2015

Tiredness and mindful moments - Moel Siabod

Moel Siabod is a favourite mountain for the walker who is in the - let's say the prime of life plus some. It stands alone, so it has fine views all round of much of northern Snowdonia's mountains and moorlands. It's quite easy to get at from the A5. It's satisfyingly mountain-shaped, yet not too high at a little under 3000 feet. And as the years go by, every 100 feet less of ascent is - noteworthy.



Much harder to describe, and certainly unphotographable, was my state of mind on the way down Siabod the other day. I was alone for a while, and tired. As I plodded on, my feet seemed to be finding their own way, which is not to be recommended in the shattered rock around the summit, but fine on the path above.

I found myself in the slightly detached, accepting, calm sort of state that can come during a formal sitting meditation. Things seemed right just as they were, although my legs ached and I was weary. 

I was in and with where I was whilst I was there. In the present moment. Impossible to describe, it can only be hinted at.

So it wasn't so much "what Siabod says" as in "what the water says." It was more what Siabod had done, to make me feel so much part of it.

When I caught up with the others, we agreed it had been a wonderful day out, a splendid and not too difficult scramble up the east ridge (Daer Ddu), lovely weather, some of the best views in Snowdonia, uncrowded. All useful categories and responses. 

I wondered if anyone else had entered, for a few minutes, the state I'd been in, but it's not really a topic for discussion whilst you're easing your boots off and looking forward to tea and cake. 

The benefits of being in the present moment lasted until long after the tea and cake. As did the aching knees, but it was worth it.

No comments: