Followers

Tuesday 24 May 2016

This is a snobbish, selfish sort of post, isn't it?

On a walking meditation, I took the path I think of as the Secret Valley. It follows a stream through woodland. It's a lovely green tunnel, and at one point the stream runs through an ash tree, right through the base of the trunk.


 Most of my walking meditation had been on the lane leading to the entrance to the valley path; I had slightly miscalculated the time I had available, so I had to press on, above the bank of the stream, then across it and back again, a twisty, only slightly muddy path, full of fresh green leaves, and birdsong. It descended gently, until quite suddenly:
there's the sea. The path is a dead end, up above a rocky shore. 


Time to hear what the wind and the waves had to tell me. (Sorry about the wind in the mic.) Time for a little presentmomentness.

 So I was pleased to be alone, to have the entire little valley to myself, to have no-one else looking out over the sea.

Of course I'd like other people who can truly appreciate the place to visit it. But I've found too many beauty spots littered by people who, having found a lovely viewpoint, decide to defile it with their cans and wrappers. This walk had been pristine. I want it to stay like that, so if you're a selfish litterer, a thoughtlessly noisy person, a jet-skier able with one machine to ruin the peace and quiet for everyone within earshot - then I want you to stay away.


Leave the place to the waves, the wind, the sea pinks and the cries of the oyster-catchers.

I turned back feeling guilty at such selfish feelings; countryside for all? OK - but all need to know how to value it for itself.

On the way back, I checked in with the stream running through the ash tree.
The stream said I was right, it was OK to feel protective. Everything changes, all the time. The ash tree  probably won't be there in 15 years, and I may not, either. But changing the place with rubbish and noise isn't a change I want to tolerate.

So I'm afraid Mr. Smug here isn't going to tell you where it is. I'll show you, if you swear to respect the place and be with it, rather than trying to impose yourself on it.

See, I told you this was a selfish, possibly even a snobbish, post.

Too bad.



 

3 comments:

brynawel said...

Not at all snobbish. Or selfish. It is a post though, and one I enjoyed very much!

brynawel said...

No, it's not snobbish. Nor selfish. It is a post though, and one I enjoyed very much!

confounded said...

well that's reassuring brynawel, and I'm really pleased you enjoyed what is beyond doubt, for better or for worse - a post! And thanks for taking the trouble to comment, it's much appreciated.